Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Popped in the Mouth

All I wanted to do was play a little soccer with my girls. We had decided, like, 4 days before that we wanted a T.S.S. Lady's Football Team, but with all the excitement of the Midterm, we just never had time to practice. No matter; when T.P.S. (Tirrim Primary School) came over and requested a match, we said yes. Everyone dug out some sort of trousers, I put on running shoes (after a disastrous stubbed toe from when I played with the boys barefoot), and we ran out onto the field.

The first half was unbearable. No one stuck to their positions, and I was yelling either, "Stand in FRONT of the blue players!" or "Go after the ball!" 2-0, them.


Whatever, we've never practiced. I'll give grace.


What I didn't count on was my overly competitive nature kicking in when I saw we were getting walked all over. All of a sudden I had knocked a primary girl over, and was going up for headers. I admit I was getting a little... testy.

So it serves me right, that as I went up for another header, and at that same moment, some little yahoo jumped for the ball as well, but being 2 feet shorter than me, hit my face instead. I came running off the field, I admit, after only half jokingly asking the ref. to give her a red card. Blood was running all over my teeth and poor beige pants, and I ran for the wash bucket. Alicia graciously gave me her washcloth, and we called over the project's truck to drive me home.

By the time I walked in the house I was like
"A skinny little stick figure with poofy lips." (That quote is for you, Dad.) I used up all two pieces of ice in the freezer and am still not able to put anything in my mouth without it kind of falling out a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. haaaahahahahaa, i wish there was a video of this incident.

    ReplyDelete