Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Monday, April 5, 2010

Term One: A Summation

It's a Greek tradition to place a small coin in the loaf of Tsourekia (Easter bread), and the person who bites into that coin is said to receive good luck for the rest of the year.

Term One in Korr, Kenya has been like finding money in your bread. I'm a girl who loves her bread products (Don't laugh too hard Chelsea! I know you're thinking about me and my loaf of garlic bread...), so I'm totally content with a nice piece, or 7... That's normal life for me though: eating and loving my bread, maybe with some honey or blackberry jam spread on it occasionally to sweeten the deal even further.

But, there's the odd time when I find a coin hidden within the doughy goodness, and then my world is brighter that I even knew to hope for.

That's how the first part of my experience in Korr has been. I was expecting to find great people here; I totally love every single one of them. I was expecting to have adventures; I've got stories for my grand-kids. I was expecting to learn a lot; I've had lessons that have changed me permanently. I was expecting to become attached; I really don't know how I'll ever leave.

I was expecting my whole time here as a missionary to be enlightening; it's rocked my world.

1 comment:

  1. laughed so hard at the bread comment! love and miss you! i'm so happy that this is such a positive experience for you!

    ReplyDelete