Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Back to School!

Back in Korr, after a wonderfully refreshing month at home, I’ve made a running landing in the desert sands. When I arrived, school had already begun for our Form Two and Three students, so I quickly came to rescue my fellow missionary teacher, Mrs. Laura Propst, from the heavy load of my Form Two English class. Bless her heart, she had already gotten them through phrasal quantifiers, and now we’re working our merry way through the grammar curriculum and trying to improve writing skills.

(Form Twos working on their "Symbolism" projects)

(Some basketball with the new hoop!)


The new Form One students arrived the day after I did, and I have never, well, in my previous one year at T.S.S., seen such little babies coming into a secondary school. David Marro is smaller than I was at the age of 6 and Ilterrewa has got a personality that is easily 3 times his physical size. They’re quite a lively bunch, these Form Ones, and so excited about their education which is, of course, the most exciting part for a teacher too. They struggle in their English comprehension and there were several occasions in the first week where I merely asked a person to tell me their name, and all I got was a blank stare, an open mouth, and perhaps a whispered, “Yes.” However, we’re making progress, judging by their giggled imitations of my evidently prevalent, “That’s crazy” comments. Heh, I’ll be the butt of the joke if it means their success.

I’ll tell you which joke I’m not so excited about though – returning to my Form One Geography teacher position. There was a teacher hired for this position from down-country, but this is no longer Kenya by “civilized” standards, and she quickly wilted in the climate and culture. She literally ran away from it all, including her students, and hasn’t been seen since, which I find terribly ironic considering her name is “Charity.” The Lord knows I hate teaching it, but for some reason I’m back in Geography so I’ll try to get myself and my kids more excited by bringing in a cool slide-show of Hubble Telescope photos.

I’m also reprising my role as ladies’ sports coach/mentor, and this is something I’m enjoying very much. I’m not playing with them as much now that there are enough girls to field a full volleyball and soccer team, but I try to make it out to the field everyday to give helpful tips/demand that they bend their knees on the volleyball court.

Besides my original Form Two and Form Threes, I’ve got 5 new girlies in Form One: Celina, who is the spitting image of her sister in Form Three, A’deyo who is easily the chattiest girl at our school, Justina who is easily the quietest, Susan who has got some spunk that will kind of sneak up on you, and finally Faith who is the Michael Jordan to TSS sports.

(Fatuma, one of the original girls, and the new Susan on the right.)
I already love them very much and am soooo looking forward to getting to know them more, hear about their dreams (which they’ve already confused with nocturnal brain waves), encourage them, and hopefully schedule a mentoring/Bible study time with them. If there’s ever been a group I’ve felt strongly led to, it’s all the girls at TSS – what gems.

There are some uncomfortable changes I’m having to make here as well, though. I miss the original Korr girls and our “Kuku” house on the hill with its popcorn dinners and daily episodes of “Glee” or “Emma.” I miss my best friends, but have peace we’re all where we should be right now. I’m trying to get settled into to my little “marti” (“visitor”) room down at the Swanepoel’s house with all its resident vermin. I’m trying to become acclimated to the heat again, but I have mostly figured this part out in my choice of Suave deodorant over Old Spice which smells too much like a high school boys’ locker room. This acclimatizing, however, is softened by the ready love of the Rendille and a knowledge that this is where I should be.

I’m quite happy to be back.


(I just thought that this was an awesome picture. Notice how there are three boys colliding and yet the ball isn't near any of them. Also notice the spiffy new sports uniforms.)

3 comments:

  1. She writes again!! Cool pictures with your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful. one question though--how do you know what a high school boys locker room smells like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't hate on my deodorant! I loved that stuff! Got me through the hardest times...and the drought!

    Nice pictures! Look at you, you're such a professional with that camera. Uniforms look uber smart.

    ReplyDelete