Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Of Jumbo Jets and Atlantic Crossings


I didn't want to be that crazy girl that gets arrested for wandering out of steerage and into first class, but I REALLY wanted to see the upstairs of the 747 I took from Texas (woop!) to London. I'd never been on a double-decker before, and I found it all quite novel, so in London I waited to be one of the last out, and asked the nice looking steward man (in my sweetest Californian accent) if he wouldn't mind showing me the upstairs cabin. For those who have only ever sat below it, the top deck of a 747 is quite glamorous with reclining sleeping pods and plenty of aisle room. I was readily invited into the cockpit by the captain, and I got two impressions: 1) It's really complicated to fly a 747, and 2)The people upstairs are usually too snooty to show an interest in the magnificence of this machine. (Despite my show of keen interest, I was not invited to fly free with British Ariways on my next trans-atlantic journey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment