Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First Person Perceptions of the Third Person Impressions

Now that they're back home in California, you should ask Mom and Dad about their experiences in Korr, Kenya. Ask to see all their pictures. Ask to hear Mom's stories about teaching African students. Especially ask to have Dad put on his kikoi. However, until you get the chance to hear/see these things first hand, here's what I believe they must have thought while with me here.

(Above: Mom and her Form 2 students)

Mom: "I feel uncomfortable wearing pants off the plane, especially considering that the girls say they always wear ankle length skirts. Oh, blast. I shouldn't say 'pants;' it means 'underwear' here."


Dad: "Oh, good thing I got the supersonic eternity zoom lens for the camera!"


Mom: "This reminds me of Claire's college house. I am going to have to clean this whole place. Not only is there dust everywhere but some of these dishtowels smell like bug spray."

Dad: "Abaya is looking at me funny. Maybe it's because he thinks I'm currently the one in the T.V." ('Father of the Bride' movie night. True story.)


Mom: "Thank heavens my microscope survived the trip!"


Dad: "How am I supposed to sleep with the Mosque going off at 5:30 in the morning?!"


Mom: "These kids' level of biology knowledge is incredible! And they love school!"

Dad: "I count it a successful day when I fix a deep freezer."


Mom: "Oh, this place is sooo much nicer than Nairobi."

Dad: "I'm not sure what I think about popcorn every night for dinner with the girls, but at least Lynne feeds us good on Sundays."


Mom: "I'm fairly impressed with the girls' ability to bake their own bread."




Dad: "I'm no teacher, but I'll blast back to the late 70s to recall my college physics."


Mom: "Wow! I've never had a sheep dissection this fresh before!"

And I can pretty much guarantee you that Mom and Dad both thought, "I can see why Claire loves it here."





They were great. I knew it would be a good experience, but to have them connect so well with the people and the town was not something I could have planned for. Mom worked night and day to prepare to show these kids what "we've only ever read about before! Madame, now we actually know what it looks like!" Dad also ran around town quite a bit fixing Daniel's solar panels, Pastor David's faulty computer screen, and Nick's internet router, and then threw in some time at school.

It's important to share a special thing with family. How invaluable it is to have someone come along and experience a life changing event with you. Mom and Dad now have met the people I have, seen the place I live in, and also gotten too attached to my students. They've been adopted into the culture with their Rendille friends and even names - Mom is Yeryero and Dad is Korrewaa - in the same way I have. When I go home, all three of us will be able to tell, "Remember that one time?" stories, and that is, I believe, a very special thing.


(Below: Mom and Dad with my adoptive brother, Somo)

1 comment:

  1. Claire it's so incredible they were able to visit and have such a rich experience. And they look fantastic! Full of life.

    ReplyDelete