Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Monday, May 17, 2010

Kids Say the Darnest Things

Because I'm their English teacher and get to read their journals each week, I've had the privilege of reading some highly entertaining lines. Because I'm their friend and get to have lovely chats with them each day, I've heard some hilarious comments come out of their mouths. Here are some of my top picks, in the original vernacular:

Joseph Obeile: "The only funny thing in my childhood is about my circumcision."

Yussaf Lerapo: "She runs to buy some sweets from the shop. On the way she losts my money. Suddenly I punish her."

Joshua Leeba: "At day time people were many and it seems life Americans voting for Obama during election."

David Chudugle (adapted from a Swahili proverb): "Don't mind my English which was born in England and came by boat to Africa, died in Africa, buried in Kenya, and the coffin made from Korr."

Jeremiah Ilbilich: "At the moment she as happy as a barren woman who had delivered a shubby son."

Jonathan Mirgichan: "Madame how about you pick a few students to stay at your house with you, and then at the end of the week you can pick one of them to take to Nairobi with you."

Joyce Amiyo: "Madame is being lazy with her dancing right now."

Naisayku Galimogle: "Madame why is your hair always messy? Here, this is how you look smart."

And finally, for variety, here is something from one of our teachers.

Mr. Abdey (the History teacher): "Claire tell your dad I want to work for him; I'll do anything to come to America. Besides, I'm a conservationist; a man of the people. I will work 28 hour days. I will work with minimal supervision. I'm an enthusiastic, eager, energetic, Kenyan job seeker."

2 comments:

  1. Some of us wish we had 28 hour days, though what we'd do with them, I'm not sure. Always hoping to accomplish more than we do. But in God's wisdom he gave us all the same number of hours and days..."Help us to number our days so that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! I want to see more of these.

    ReplyDelete