Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Party!!!!!

It is better to give than to receive.


Rarely do you get to experience this feeling in its purest form, but I've found that even though they can be very vocal about what they wish you had given them (i.e. which colour would have been preferred, which flavour, what type of film...) I love seeing the looks on our kids faces when they get a gift even they can't find fault with. Such were their looks when they received their Christmas gifts this year which included Tirrim Secondary t-shirts and some awesome quilted book bags donated from the States!


Brand new shirts are absolute luxury around here, and we're pretty strict about the kids keeping their books in good condition, so a sturdy bag is always handy. I find such joy in giving them not only things that are useful, but being able to see how excited they get over the few Christmas presents they've ever gotten in their life. When I was a kid, I was getting Jasmine outfits and toy horses from overly generous grandparents (to whom I will be forever grateful), but for some of these students, these are the first real Christmas gifts they've ever gotten.

I'm the one who is blessed to have been able to serve Tirrim students, whether through teaching or a new t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment