Local Time in Korr, Kenya

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Onion Pancakes

The other night Alicia and I went to spend the night at the nicest hotel in town: Ebenezer Guest House. It's owned by our language teacher and dear auntie, Amina Labarakwe, and let me tell you, she's got this hotel managment thing down! The rooms are actually individual Samburu style huts, made with a frame of sticks and covered with cardboard boxes. The inside of each room/hut is lined with a multitude of brightly colored fabrics and next to each bed there lie complimentary flip-flops.

However, the real reason anyone, or at least Alicia or I, go to the Ebenezer Guest House is for the food. Stews, chapatiis, these little breaded and deep fried potato things, homemade salsa, all topped off with Amina's own special chai recipe. I look forward to such meals the whole day. Like any good cook, Amina likes to experiement, which is how she got into learning how to make us "American pancakes." Usually these are phenomenal, but the other morning Amina got a little carried away. When we walked in for our breakfast at 8 am, Amina proudly announced that she had made us "onion pancakes!"

I'm not usually a picky eater, but my stomach can't handle such things in the early morning hours. So I took Amina's special chai instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment